Carl Edwards – NSCS KANSAS ADVANCE
Team: No. 99 Aflac Ford Fusion
Crew Chief: Bob Osborne
Chassis: RK-695 Last outing: Michigan – August, finished third
Also: raced Indy; finished seventh
Edwards, NSCS at Kansas Speedway:
Date Event S F Laps Led Status Money
10-4-09 Price Chopper 400 17 10 267/267 1 Running $150,131
9-28-08 Camping World 400 34 2 267/267 31 Running $259,575
9-30-07 Kansas 400 27 37 181/210 0 Accident $ 86,925
10-1-06 Banquet 400 27 6 267/267 7 Running $124,350
10-9-05 Banquet 400 5 3 267/267 1 Running $176,625
10-10-04 Banquet 400 16 22 267/267 0 Running $ 69,650
Races Wins Top-5s Top-10s Poles Led Money
Cumulative 6 0 2 4 0 40 $867,256
Carl Edwards on racing at Kansas Speedway:
“Kansas takes everything. It takes a good engine, good qualifying effort and pit crew. The biggest thing I think it takes is a crew chief that understands how to make that car work through a long run there. So much happens at Kansas. The cars get tight, or they get loose in and you’ve got to really have a good crew chief. Fuel mileage is going to be key, too. I was fortunate to win the truck race there at Kansas. That was a huge victory and to win the Cup race would be unbelievable.”
Crew chief Bob Osborne on racing at Kansas Speedway:
“We are taking the same car we ran at Indy and Michigan to Kansas. It was a new car at Indy and we’ve had success with it both times it has run this year. We hope to come out of Kansas with at least a top-five finish. That has been our goal in the Chase is to finish top five in every race. So far we are only 50 percent since we didn’t get the finish in Loudon we wanted, but Dover was pretty good. It would mean a lot to Carl to get a win at his home track.”
• Carl Edwards enters Kansas sixth in the NASCAR Sprint Cup point standings, 73 markers behind Chase leader Denny Hamlin. In 28 starts this season, Edwards has accumulated seven top-five and 15 top-10 finishes.
• FOR THE RECORD…Edwards will make his seventh Cup start at Kansas Speedway this weekend. In his previous starts, Edwards has two top-five and four top-10 finishes. His average start is 21st and his average finish is 13.3. His best finish (second) came in 2008.
• IN THE LOOP… According to NASCAR’s Loop Statistics compiled over the last six races at Kansas, Edwards has turned 71 of the track’s fastest laps which is fourth highest, spent 824 laps (64.5%) in the top 15 (seventh highest) and led a total of 40 laps (10th highest). Edwards’ driver rating (94.2) is sixth best among active drivers.
• HOME TRACK… Edwards is a native of, and currently resides in Columbia, Mo. Only 130 miles away, he considers Kansas Speedway his home track in the Sprint Cup Series.
• ON THE TRACK…The Aflac team will be bringing chassis RK-695 to Kansas. Edwards raced this chassis most recently at Michigan in August where he finished third. He also raced it at Indy in July and finished seventh.
• REWIND, KANSAS, October 2009…Edwards spent much of the race trying to overcome a pit road speeding penalty which cost him a lap. He got the lucky dog on lap 148 while in 23rd place. He was able to work his way to 10th in the remaining laps of the race.