CORNELIUS, N.C. — Martin Truex Jr. and the No. 56 NAPA AUTO PARTS team admitted to mixed feelings about the off weekend. They enjoyed a chance to rest and relax, but after moving to seventh in points after Las Vegas, the Michael Waltrip Racing team didn’t want a weekend away from the track to disrupt any momentum. With the off weekend behind them, Truex and teammates are eager to continue their early season success.
The NASCAR Sprint Cup season resumes this weekend at Bristol Motor Speedway where Truex scored his first Nationwide Series victory in 2004. Truex believes the 20 laps he’s led and the time spent in the top five during the season’s first three races indicates his team is closing in on its first victory together. Truex isn’t the only person that can win at Bristol. Fans can participate in NAPA’s “KNOW HOW TO WIN” sweepstakes to win weekly prizes like NASCAR race tickets, Truex diecasts, hats and t-shirts. Fans can register at the NAPA Know How Facebook page until April 15.
Martin Truex Jr. on NAPA Team’s Performance: “The potential is there for us all to have a great season and so we’re excited about that. My engineer Chad Johnson and my crew chief Pat Tryson — everyone is just really doing a great job right now and we know some areas that we need to improve and everybody is working hard on those areas. We just need to go out there and do all of the little things right and not make any mistakes. If we can do that, we’ll just keep stacking up points and knocking on the door to victory lane. I’m pretty excited about how our season has gone so far. It has been a great start and everybody is doing so well. The sky is the limit for this team. It’s great that we’re getting to show it early in the season. The last time I started this strong, I made the Chase.”
Truex on Bristol: “Bristol is a different kind of racetrack. We had a decent run in both of those races last year. I feel like with the way the communication is going between me and my team and the way they can really give me what I’ve been asking for this season, I feel like we’ll be able to go to Bristol and have another great race with a shot to win there.”
ADDITIONAL NOTES OF INTEREST
· Truex selected “Homeboy” by Eric Church to be played during his portion of Bristol driver introductions.
· Sunday’s race marks the 193rd NASCAR Sprint Cup start for Truex.
· This will be his 11th race at the .533 mile-oval. His average start is 18th and his average finish is 23rd. He has completed 4,806 of 5,013 laps (95.9%).
· On Sunday, NAPA Racing will host Honorary Pit Crew Member Ray Fisher of Knoxville, Tenn. He will be honored in NAPA pre-race festivities and have his name decaled on the No. 56 NAPA Toyota.
· Check out NAPA Reserve Online. Visit www.napaonline.com to make shopping for an auto part easier. Order online and pick up at your favorite NAPA AUTO PARTS store.