Carl Edwards– NSCS MARTINSVILLE ADVANCE
Team: No. 99 Aflac Ford Fusion
Crew Chief: Bob Osborne
This car last raced at Phoenix in February, Finished 28th after an accident
Carl Edwards on racing at Martinsville Speedway : “It’s great going into Martinsville as the point leader.
Martinsville is one of those tracks we keep getting better at and the track is always a challenge. We have had some really good runs there lately and I feel it’s one of those driver’s tracks and a win there would mean a lot to me.”
Crew chief Bob Osborne on racing at Martinsville Speedway : “Martinsvilleis a demanding track, both physically and mentally. It’s a difficult place to get the car handling just right and the driver has to be patient in traffic to save the brakes. It’s a very long race so you can’t wear out your brakes in the first half of the race. We’d like to come out of there still leading the points so we need a good, solid finish at Martinsville this weekend.”
* Carl Edwardsenters Martinsville leading the NASCAR Sprint Cup point standings, by nine points. He has earned one win, 3 top-five, four top-10 finishes and two poles this season.
* FOR THE RECORD… In 13 starts at the 0.526-mile track, Edwards has one top-five and four top-10 finishes. His average start is 17.8, and his average finish is 16.8. Edwards has completed 97.2 percent (6337 of 6519) of laps in Cup competition attempted at Martinsville Speedway.
* Edwards’ best career finish at Martinsville came back in 2003, when he finished second in the Camping World Truck Series race. He started that race from the pole. His best Cup finish was third in the fall of 2008.
* IN THE LOOP … According to NASCAR’s Loop Statistics compiled over the last 13 races at Martinsville, Edwards has turned 101 of the track’s fastest laps (13th most), spent 3,502 laps in the top 15, but has not led a lap there. Martinsville and Watkins Glen are the only two tracks on the NSCS circuit that he has failed to lead a lap.
* ON THE TRACK…The No. 99 crew will unload RK-726 for the weekend. Edwards raced this car at Phoenix in February where he finished 28th after an accident.
* REWIND, MARTINSVILLE , MARCH 2010…Edwards rose to the challenge of the demanding paper clip-shaped half-mile track to survive a green-white-checker finish and bring the Aflac Ford Fusion home in eighth place.