CORNELIUS, N.C. — After the first five races of 2011, Martin Truex Jr. and the “NAPA Know How” team rank 13th in the championship standings. It’s an improvement of seven positions from where the team stood last year at this time. The Michael Waltrip Racing team continues working to close the gap between how well it starts and finishes races. This weekend’s stop at Martinsville (Va.) Speedway may be the track where the No. 56 NAPA AUTO PARTS Toyota visits victory lane.
Martin Truex Jr. on the NAPA Team heading into Martinsville: “We’re scratching our heads a little bit trying to figure out what we are missing. The last two weeks we have started off extremely strong and then faded in the second half of the race. What we faced at Bristol is very similar to what we experienced at Fontana. I was able to run fast by moving the line up and finding clean track. Once the clean track is up against the wall and there isn’t a clean surface left, that’s when we seem to struggle. We experienced this issue last year as well. It’s just magnified now with how strong we come out of the box. I expect we’ll get another chance to figure this issue out in Martinsville because it’s concrete like Bristol. We’ll continue to work hard to come up with a solution. It’s something that’s hard to test for so it’s up to us to find the right adjustment during the race that will get grip in the car when the track is rubbered up and slick. Once we figure it out, and I hope it’s at Martinsville, the NAPA team is going to be in really, really good shape.”
ADDITIONAL NOTES OF INTEREST
· Sunday’s race marks the 195th NASCAR Sprint Cup Series start for Truex.
· This will be his 11th race at Martinsville Speedway. He has one top-five and two top-10 finishes. His best result of fifth came last year in the No. 56 NAPA Toyota. His average start is 18th and his average finish is 23rd. He has completed 4,934 of 5,019 laps (98.3%).
· On Sunday, NAPA Racing will host Honorary Pit Crew Member Eric McGee. He owns Xpress Auto Service, a NAPA AutoCare Center in Kernersville, N.C. He will be honored in NAPA pre-race festivities and have his name decaled on the No. 56 NAPA Toyota.
· Starting April and while supplies last, fans can pick one up the NAPA Racing Camo Cap free with any purchase at participating NAPA AUTO PARTS stores. Plus, a coupon is attached to save money on Eagle One products.
· Fans can also take advantage of NAPA’s April Spring Car Care promotion with deep discounts. Stop by your favorite NAPA AUTO PARTS store and pick up NAPA brake cleaner at $1.98 and Citrus Orange hand cleaner is $8.98.
· Now through April 15, fans can win free NAPA stuff like Truex t-shirts and die casts. Go to the NAPA Know How Facebook page to find out more
· Check out NAPA Reserve Online. Visit www.napaonline.com to make shopping for an auto part easier. Order online and pick up at your favorite NAPA AUTO PARTS store.