CORNELIUS, N.C. — No. 00 Michael Waltrip Racing Toyota driver Brett Moffitt is preparing for his debut at Richmond (Va.) International Raceway on Thursday night. The 18-year-old driver led every lap of the season opener at Greenville-Pickens Speedway followed by 67 laps at South Boston (Va.) Speedway. Moffitt has led 73 percent of the total laps through the first two races of the 2011 season.
The Grimes, Iowa native will compete for the first time against teammate, Travis Pastrana. The teammates have tested together at various tracks in addition to practicing pit stops at Michael Waltrip Racing in Cornelius, N.C.
racing at RICHMOND INTERNATIONAL RACEWAY: “I’m looking forward to racing at Richmond. I’ve never been there before. It’s a bigger track for me to race on, and it will be a good change of pace from the shorter tracks we’ve had in the beginning of the season. I’m just looking to get a good finish.”
NO.00 TEAM: “Between the win and me working here every day, we’re a pretty close group of guys which only makes our team stronger and works together better. It’s a great atmosphere that we have and we’re lucky to be able to share that. Since I’ve been here at Michael Waltrip Racing we’ve been able to win and run strong – that all just brings us together stronger and work harder at it.”
Teammate TRAVIS PASTRANA: “Working with Travis Pastrana has been a really cool experience. It’s really neat to see how much interest he has in the sport and how much he really wants to learn and be successful. It’s been a lot of fun talking with him and hearing about everything that he’s done in his career. I’m looking forward to getting on the track with him as a teammate.”
· Michael Waltrip Racing fielded Toyotas for Ryan Truex who won East titles in 2009 and 2010. Truex is now racing in the Nationwide Series.
· Moffitt owns five victories in just 22 races in his East career.
· Moffitt earned the April 2011 Hunter Index award. This award is a ranking of the top developmental drivers in the nation.
· Moffitt has led 217 laps of 300 in the 2011 East Series.
· Moffitt’s Crew Chief Mike Greci bids for his fifth East Series title in 2011. Greci won titles with Ryan Truex in 2009 and 2010 and with Mike Stefanik in 1997 and 1998.