CORNELIUS, N.C. — No. 00 Michael Waltrip Racing Toyota driver Brett Moffitt returns to his home track this weekend at Iowa Speedway in Newton, Iowa. The Grimes, Iowa native is sixth in the standings after leading 217 of the season’s 400 laps. Moffitt earned his first MWR victory – fifth of his East Series career – in the season-opener at Greenville-Pickens (S.C.) Speedway. The homecoming won’t be all work for the 18-year-old driver. On Thursday he throws out the first pitch at the Iowa Cubs baseball game and signs autographs at Principal Park.
racing at Iowa SPEEDWAY:“I love going to Iowa Speedway. Not only because it is my home track, but just because the fan support there is so big. They fill the stands with more fans than any other race track we go to – it’s awesome, and I love that they are all cheering for me. When we race at these big tracks everything really comes into play. I really enjoy racing there, and it makes for a lot of fun. I tend to run well there so that makes it a lot more enjoyable also.”
Returning home:“I’m really looking forward to going home. I miss my family, I haven’t been home in three or four months so that will be nice to get back and see all of my friends and family.”
IOWA CUBS BASEBALL GAME: “That will be a cool experience. That’s a first time thing for me. I played baseball for one year back in the past, so I’m definitely going to be out of my element, but I am looking forward to it.”
· The 2011 Michael Waltrip Racing Fan Fest is scheduled to take place at MWR Headquarters on Wednesday, May 25 from 4:00 p.m.—7:00 p.m. This event is free to the public. Moffitt will be signing autographs alongside the other MWR drivers from 5:30 p.m.—7:00 p.m.
· Moffitt earned the April 2011 Hunter Index award. This award is a ranking of the top developmental drivers in the nation.
· Michael Waltrip Racing fielded Toyotas for Ryan Truex who won East titles in 2009 and 2010. Truex is now racing in the Nationwide Series.
· Moffitt owns five victories in just 22 races in his East career.
· Moffitt’s Crew Chief Mike Greci bids for his fifth East Series title in 2011. Greci won titles with Ryan Truex in 2009 and 2010 and with Mike Stefanik in 1997 and 1998.
· Meet Moffitt Thursday May 19, at Principal Park. He will be throwing out the first pitch at the Iowa Cubs game and signing autographs during the first two innings. The game begins at 6:35 p.m. CDT. www.BrettMoffitt.com
Driver: Brett Moffitt
Born: Aug. 7, 1992
Hometown: Grimes, Iowa
Moffitt signed autographs at the Charlotte Bobcats NASCAR night.
Social Media Stay up to date on race day by following @BrettMoffitt00