Carl Edwards – NSCS POCONO ADVANCE
Team: No. 99 Kellogg’s Ford Fusion
Crew Chief: Bob Osborne
Chassis: RK-732 – Ran at Vegas (1st) & Darlington (2nd)
Carl Edwards on racing at Pocono Raceway:
“I really like racing at Pocono. The first time I ran there I won so it’s been a favorite ever since. It is a very difficult track, both mentally and physically, and it taxes every part of the car as well. We’re going into Pocono with a big point lead so we are definitely going for the win. With a cushion in the points we are able to gamble a bit more and I can drive more aggressively to go for the win. It’s also TNT’s first broadcast and Kellogg’s first primary race of the season so that will be fun as well.”
Crew Chief Bob Osborne on racing at Pocono Raceway:
“Pocono is the most unique race track we go to on the circuit. It is a challenging race track, but I enjoy racing there. With three different corners and a very long straightaway, there is a fine line between being good and being good enough to win. It takes a series of compromises to the set-up to run fast there.”
* Carl Edwards will make his 13th NASCAR Sprint Cup Series start at Pocono Raceway in this weekend’s Pocono 500.
* STANDINGS… Edwards currently leads the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series point standings by 40 points over Jimmie Johnson with one win, seven top fives and 10 top 10s.
* FOR THE RECORD…In 12 starts at the 2.5-mile track, Edwards has two wins, five top-five and six top-10 finishes. He has an average start of 22.9 and an average finish of 12.4.
* ON THE TRACK… The No. 99 team will be unloading chassis RK-732 this weekend. This is the same Ford Fusion that Edwards won with at Vegas and finished second at Darlington. The team will debut the Kellogg’s paint scheme for the first of two primary races this season.
* IN THE LOOP… According to NASCAR’s Loop Statistics compiled over the last 12 races at Pocono, Edwards has turned 143 of the track’s fastest laps which is fifth highest, spent 1,444 laps (62.4%) in the top 15 (10th highest) and led a total of 210 laps (fourth highest). Edwards’ driver rating (98.6) is sixth best among active drivers.
* REWIND, POCONO, June 2010…After starting 26th, Edwards and the team worked on the handling all day and seemed to hit on a good set-up in the closing laps to help Edwards finish 12th.