Carl Edwards– NSCS MICHIGAN ADVANCE
Team: No. 99 Aflac’s Now Hiring Ford Fusion
Crew Chief: Bob Osborne
Chassis: RK-739 Last outing: Dover in May – finished 7th
QUOTES Carl Edwards on racing at Michigan International Speedway : “I feel like MIS takes every part of your team and taxes you. You have to have really good strategy, you have to have a great car and a big engine. The aero package has got to be spot on, and I feel like at Roush Fenway we’ve done a good job of having that whole package a lot of times. There’s extra incentive to win here. It’s right up the road from Ford for us, so we work really hard at this race and I think that’s why we run well here. We are bringing a car that we have huge confidence in and we are going for wins in both Cup and Nationwide.”
Crew chief Bob Osborne on racing at Michigan International Speedway : “Roush Fenway Racing has a very good track record at MIS, and so does Carl. It would be great to get another win at MIS, especially since we lost so many points last week at Pocono. We only have a six-point lead now, so the bonus points for winning will become a big factor when the Chase begins in September.”
* CARL EDWARDSenters Michigan leading NASCAR Sprint Cup Series point standings by six points over Jimmie Johnson. This season Edwards has achieved one win, seven top-five and 10 top-10 finishes.
* FOR THE RECORD…Edwards will make his 14th NASCAR Sprint Cup Series start at Michigan International Speedway Sunday. In his previous 13 starts, Edwards has two wins, eight top-fives and 11 top-10 finishes.
* Edwards’ average start at Michigan is 20.7, his average finish is 6.3. He has completed 100 percent of the laps he has attempted at the two-mile track. Only twice in his previous 13 starts has Edwards finished outside the top 10.
* IN THE LOOP … According to NASCAR’s Loop Statistics compiled over the last 13 races at MIS, Edwards has turned 146 of the track’s fastest laps which is third highest, spent 2,086 laps (89.3%) in the top 15 (best of all active drivers) and led a total of 244 laps (second highest). Edwards’ driver rating (110.5) is the best among active drivers.
* SO YOU KNOW… Edwards made his Cup series debut at Michigan in August 2004. He started that race 23rd and finished 10th. Edwards also made his 100th Cup start at MIS in June of 2007. He went on to win that race.
* ON THE TRACK…The No. 99 Aflac crew will be unloading chassis 739. Edwards last raced this car at Dover last month where he finished seventh. This will be the second race for this car.
* REWIND, MICHIGAN – June 2010…Edwards was in seventh place after a late-race caution, but was shuffled back on the restart with 14 laps to go and eventually passed by a few cars with newer tires to finish the race in 12th place.