REED SORENSONQUICK FACTS
No. 32 Dollar General Chevy
Road America Bucyrus 200
June 25, 2011
No. 32 Dollar General Chevrolet News and Notes
· Sorenson Season in Review- As the NASCAR Nationwide Series (NNS) marches toward the halfway point in the season, Reed Sorenson continues to make a name for himself in the championship point standings. After 15 races in 2011, Sorenson has earned five top-five and 10 top-10 finishes along with 83 laps led. He has an average starting position of 11.1 and average finish of 9.5. Sorenson is currently ranked third in a very close points battle, just four markers out of the lead.
· There’s a First Time for Everything -Sorenson will be making his track debut this weekend at Road America in an NNS car. Formula One champion Jacques Villenueve was behind the wheel of the No. 32 Dollar General machine in last season’s event at the 4.0-mile road course where he started second and finished 25th after suffering electrical issues. Sorenson will rely heavily on the experience his Trent Owens-led team gained from that race as well as Villenueve’s input.
· Getting the Lay of the Land -Last week, Sorenson joined teammates Ricky Carmichael and Justin Allgaier at Road America to drive Mazda sports cars around the track with Chris Cook. While Mazda cars are very different than the NNS cars drivers will pilot this weekend, the experience allowed the Turner Motorsports drivers to get a feel for the course, as two of the three drivers had yet to see it.
· Sorenson on Road Courses -Sorenson has made four NNS starts at road courses; two each at Mexico City and Watkins Glen, respectively. In those starts, he has a combined average start of 26.2 and average finish of 29.8.
· Dollar General Team Holding Steady in Top-Three -After their seventh-place finish last weekend at Michigan International Speedway with Mark Martin at the wheel, the Dollar General team continues to hold on to third-place in the owner point standings. The team notched another top-10 finish, bringing their 2011 team total to 13 which leads all NNS teams.
· This Week’s Impala – This weekend, Sorenson will pilot TMS-300 in the Bucyrus 200 at Road America. This is a brand new road course chassis for the No. 32 Dollar General team.
Sorenson on racing at Road America for the first time: “Going up to Road America this weekend is going to be a new challenge for me. It’s one I’m looking forward to though. I think the first thing I need to do is make sure I have a handle on mapping out the track and which way the turns come at me. Finding out where the passing zones are will be huge as well. Fortunately, one of the factors that will even out the playing field is the new Nationwide Series cars. The guys that were here last year used the old style cars. I’m definitely going to lean on Trent (Owens, crew chief) and the experience he and the guys gained having Jacques (Villenueve) in the Dollar General car in last year’s race. I’m really excited to get up to Road America and see what we can do. I think we’ll definitely have some fun!”