MARTIN TRUEX JR.
No. 56 NAPA AUTO PARTS Toyota
Michigan International Speedway
CORNELIUS, N.C. — NAPA Racing’s Martin Truex Jr. and crew chief Chad Johnston know their recent run of success gives their Michael Waltrip Racing team a shot at making the 2011 “Chase for the Championship.”
In the nine races since joining together at Pocono in June, Truex has scored the 13th most points of any driver.
A win at one of the next four races puts the No. 56 in prime contention for one of two wildcard spots in the Chase. The duo plan to carry the momentum from Monday’s season-best, fourth-place finish at Watkins Glen International to this weekend’s NASCAR Sprint Cup race at Michigan International Speedway.
MARTIN TRUEX JR. ON MICHIGAN: “I am expecting another strong run at Michigan after how well we ran there in the spring. We ran quite a different setup last time compared to last year and really improved. Since then, we’ve learned a lot about our car and have made improvements to our 1.5- to two-mile program to apply this time. I don’t see why we cannot run better. We just need to run a clean race and get the result to show for it. What I like about Michigan is we can run anywhere from the apron to the fence. I love having several options like that. I look forward to seeing what all we can get accomplished this weekend.”
CHAD JOHNSTON ON MOMENTUM: “It’s good to see strong finishes over the last two months. We definitely went about it the long way this season to get them. We’ve been unloading fast and have put strong cars underneath Martin. It’s so important for us to get the NAPA Toyota back into victory lane. I believe we are on mark to climb back into the top 15 in points. I feel good about all the tracks that are coming up. We had strong cars at Michigan, Bristol and Richmond so I look forward to going back and getting finishes that reflect the quality of cars and driver we have.”
ADDITIONAL NOTES OF INTEREST
· Truex won the Mobil 1 Oil Driver of the Race at Watkins Glen. The award is given to the winner of the race or the next-highest finishing driver displaying the Mobil 1 decal.
· AUTOGRAPH SIGNING: On Saturday at the track, he’ll visit the Schick Get Fresh Society Mobile Tour Display from 12:30 p.m. to 12:50 p.m. Autographs will be guaranteed for the first 40 fans.
· Sunday’s race marks the 212th NASCAR Sprint Cup Series start and 12th at Michigan International Speedway for Truex. At MIS, he has earned two top-five and three top-10 finishes. His average start is 14th and finish is 17th.
· NAPA’s new family of filters — NAPA Silver, Gold and Platinum quality filters are on NAPA store shelves. Check out the great savings including oil change specials happening this month. Plus register for a chance to win up to $10,000 in the NAPA Filters Do It Your Way $50,000 Sweepstakes. For details visit: www.napafiltersdoityourwaysweepstakes.com.
· Check out NAPA Reserve Online. Visit www.napaonline.com to make shopping for an auto part easier. Order online and pick up at your favorite NAPA AUTO PARTS store.