GAFFNEY, S.C. (July 2, 2012) – Mike Wallace and the No. 01 G&K Services Chevrolet team will depart from their normally-red colored G&K Services paint scheme for the NASCAR Nationwide Series race at Daytona International Speedway this Friday night.
Instead, they will have a black Chevrolet with long-time partner G&K Services adorning the car’s hood and quarter panels. Wallace, the 2006 winner of this race, and team are hoping to turn all their Daytona bad-luck finishes into a great one at the World Center of Speed in Florida.
Danny Efland is making another start in the No. 4 Tradebank Chevrolet for JD Motorsports with Gary Keller. He enjoyed his best finish of the season, 13th, when the NNS raced there in February.
Combine restrictor-plate racing, Fourth of July 4 fun and fireworks all in one place, on one night, and it sounds like the perfect recipe for action packed and a fun filled night of racing.
Mike Wallace Notes
· The St. Louis native is making his 432nd career NNS start this Friday night
· This is his 16th start of the 2012 season where he is currently 13th in Driver’s Points, trailing 12th by 20 markers
· The team has achieved four top-20 finishes in the last five races
· To date, Wallace has completed 2,519 of 2,718 (92.7 percent) of laps contested this season
· This will be his 25th start at Daytona where he has one victory (July 2006) when he only led one lap – the final and most important one.
· During that span, Wallace has earned two top-fives and four top-10 finishes
· He’s completed 2,417 of 2,716 laps (89 percent) contested in those two dozen starts. He’s led six races for a total of 36 laps
· His best start was ninth in 1995
Danny Efland Info
· This will be Efland’s eighth NNS start of 2012 and 47th of his career
· Daytona has been a good track for the Irmo, S.C. native where he’s completed 440 of 442 laps (99.5 percent) contested in four previous starts
· His best finish of this year, and at Daytona, took place during the February race when he placed 13th under the checkered flags.
Tune in for the Win
Nationwide teams will take to the track on Thursday for two practice sessions. The first will take place from 2:30 p.m. to 3:50 p.m. ET and the second from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.; both are on SPEED TV. Qualifying takes place at 2 p.m. on Friday; which is on ESPN2. Then, switch over to ESPN at 7:30 p.m. for the 100-lap race. It can also be heard on MRN Radio and Sirius XM NASCAR radio Ch. 90
Mike Wallace Quotes:
“Daytona couldn’t come at a better time on the schedule for this JD Motorsports with Gary Keller team. I love the place and we have run in the top-five and top-10 the last few times we’ve been there, and Talladega.
“But, this time, in addition to the different paint scheme on the No. 01 G&K Services Chevrolet we’ve put something under the hood for this race. We leased a motor from Earnhardt Ganassi Racing to give us just that little extra horsepower needed at a place like Daytona
“Johnny Davis (owner) and Newt (Moore, crew chief) have put together an awesome car for this race. The body and chassis have been worked on in great length by the team.
“I’m not going to lie; everyone on this team is looking forward to this race on Friday night. We’re celebrating the birth of our great nation this week, and we’re looking to do the same in Victory Lane on Friday night.”