Subway Jalapeno 250
Daytona International Speedway
Friday, July 6, 2012
SAM HORNISH JR. – No. 12 Wurth Dodge Challenger Crew Chief: Chad Walter
Career Stats: Starts: 48 Wins: 1 Top Fives: 5 Top 10s: 14 Poles: 0 Laps Led: 182
2012 Season Stats: Starts: 15 Wins: 0 Top Fives: 3 Top 10s: 8 Poles: 0 Laps Led: 67
• Fourth in Nationwide Series driver standings, 33 points behind leader Elliott Sadler.
• Has four top-10 finishes in last five NNS starts.
• Will be making his fourth NNS start at Daytona.
• Has completed 99.93 percent of all possible laps in 15 races this season (2,516 of a possible 2,518).
• Scored a 20th-place finish at DIS in 2012 spring race after being involved in a late-race incident.
BRAD KESELOWSKI – No. 22 Discount Tire Dodge Challenger Crew Chief: Jeremy Bullins
Career Stats: Starts: 180 Wins: 18 Top Fives: 79 Top 10s: 111 Poles: 12 Laps Led: 2,892
2012 Season Stats: Starts: 12 Wins: 1 Top Fives: 6 Top 10s: 8 Poles: 0 Laps Led: 138
• Claimed second-place finish in spring race at DIS.
• Has led at least one lap in six of nine career starts at DIS.
• Owns one NNS victory on a restrictor-plate track: 2010 at Talladega.
• Has seven top-10 finishes in 14 career NNS restrictor-plate starts.
DODGE QUOTES: “We need a little bit of luck at Daytona and Talladega towards the end of the race and hopefully we’ll have a little bit of that on Friday night. I love going to those restrictor plate tracks. It’s about momentum. I like Daytona the way it was when it was really bumpy and you had to drive the car a little bit more. I like that type of racing. It’s about momentum. The July Daytona race is always much different than what the February one is. Everybody just has less patience.” — Sam Hornish Jr.
DAYTONA INTERNATIONAL SPEEDWAY NUMBERS
• Dodge has two NNS poles at Daytona, both in the summer races: Bryan Clauson (2008) and Brad Keselowski (2010).
• The best finish by a Dodge driver in the NNS at Daytona is second-place by Keselowski in the 2012 spring race.
• Dodge drivers have scored six top-five and 19 top-10 finishes in 23 previous races at Daytona.
DODGE IN THE NASCAR NATIONWIDE SERIES
• DID YOU KNOW? Jamie McMurray was the first Dodge driver to score a top five at Daytona (fifth-place in 2003 spring race).
• Dodge is fielding two full-time entries in the series this year. Sam Hornish Jr. is competing for the series championship while Brad Keselowski and Parker Kligerman are sharing the driving duties in the second Penske Racing entry.
• Dodge claimed its first NASCAR championship in 2010 when Penske Racing’s Brad Keselowski captured the driver’s title. His average finish for the season was 5.2.
• Dodge has 41 wins in the series including seven in each of the last two seasons. The first Nationwide Series win came in 2002. Dodge had 11 wins in the series during the 2005 season.
• A Dodge has started from the pole 48 times.
FROM THE CREW CHIEF “The strategy is – you hope you avoid everybody else’s mess. That’s how we wound up where we were at the end of the race (second-place) in February. We tried to stay out of the way as best we could and he (Brad Keselowski) did a really good job of missing the big wreck at the end. There’s a little bit of luck involved in these races and there’s not really anything you can do about it.” — Jeremy Bullins, Crew Chief, No. 22 Discount Tire Dodge Challenger