The breakout team of 2012 that visited victory lane three times and finished second in the Chase with Clint Bowyer has continued its success in 2013. MWR’s three-car team is second only to Hendrick Motorsports when it comes to the average owner points scored by each full-time car in the top 30.
TY NORRIS, MWR GENERAL MANAGER: “Organizational depth is certainly a goal for every team. It is nice to see that across the board MWR teams and drivers are competitive. So much of that comes down to teamwork between the crew chiefs, engineering staff and the drivers. They hold the key to an organization’s success and culture. When you have open communication and cooperation, it creates the culture that with a high tide, all boats rise. MWR has firmly established itself among the elites, but we must refine ourselves every day because yesterday’s success doesn’t guarantee anything for the future. Focus is always forward.”
· CHASSIS: Primary 780—Mark Martin led 23 laps at Michigan on Aug. 18 in this chassis.
· VICKERS AT ATLANTA: Vickers owns a top-five and seven top-10 finishes in 15 starts. He has led eight laps on the 1.5-mile oval. His most recent Sprint Cup race in Atlanta came in November 2011.
· VICKERS AT MWR: In 15 races Vickers owns a victory, five top-fives and eight top-10s driving MWR’s No. 55 Toyota.
· CAREER STATS: Vickers owns three Sprint Cup, three Nationwide and a Sprint Open victory. He’s led 1,189 laps in Sprint Cup competition. He’s won 11 Sprint Cup poles. Vickers has started 273 Sprint Cup races and 141 Nationwide. He is the 2003 Nationwide Series Champion.
· MWR in 2013: MWR have combined to recorded two wins (Truex Jr. – Sonoma; Vickers – Loudon-1), 18 top-five and 32 top-10 finishes. The three-car team has led 542 laps and won one pole award (M. Martin – Phoenix-1). Bowyer currently ranks second in points trailing Jimmie Johnson by 18 and clinched a spot in the Chase for the Sprint Cup with his 14th-place finish at Bristol. Truex Jr., with one win, holds the first wild card position with two races remaining.
· No. 55 CREW
Acting Crew Chief & Ex. VP of Competition – Scott Miller
Engineer – Billy Scott
Car Chief/7thman – Steve Channing
Front Changer – Ryan Langley
Rear Changer – Shannon Myers
Front Carrier – Chris Hall
Rear Carrier – Mark Kennerly
Jackman – Tony Cardamone
Gas man – Brian Dheel
2nd Gas Man – Kelly Johnson
Spotter – Ty Norris
2nd Engineer – Scott McDougall
Tires – Kevin White
Eng.Tuner – Denny Chandler (TRD)
Shocks – Mike (Nook) McCarville
Front Mechanic – Jacen Johns
Interior Mech. – David Cropps
Truck Driver – Glenn Shano
2nd Truck Driver – John Murphy
Pit Coach – Greg Miller
Dir. Race Eng. – Chad Walter
Ex. VP Engineering – Tom German
· NO. 55 in 2014: Aaron’s, Inc. announced Aug. 13 it had reached a multi-year agreement to sponsor Vickers in the No. 55. Vickers has raced the No. 55 on a part-time basis the last two seasons for MWR posting several impressive performances including his third career victory at New Hampshire Motor Speedway on July 14. Beginning in 2014, he’ll pilot the No. 55 Aaron’s Dream Machine with a fresh new paint scheme. Aaron’s will sponsor each race during the length of the agreement.
· SOCIAL STOP: Make MWR’s “Social Stop” your second screen to follow all the racing and social media action when the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series races this weekend. MWR’s “Social Stop” goes live race morning allowing fans to view information from Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube all on one page. Twitter feeds from MWR drivers, media members and NASCAR fans will populate the page. Visitors can also interact with fellow race fans and answer poll questions on the page. Visit www.facebook.com/michaelwaltripracing or www.MichaelWaltripRacing.com/social.
· AARON’S: At Aaron’s you’re pre-approved for up to $2000 in merchandise – without needing credit. Choose from the best brand names in furniture, electronics, appliances and computers. Do you know why more than 1.6 million people are leasing to own with Aaron’s right now? Because it’s easy and affordable to own the Aarons way – without using credit. Aaron’s has over 2000 stores nationwide – that’s major buying power and Aaron’s always passes the savings along to you.
· INSIDER PROGRAM: MWR launched its Insider Program in 2013 that offers all race fans sponsor discounts, specials on merchandise, exclusive pictures and video content plus fan giveaways throughout the 2013 NASCAR Sprint Cup season. Fans can access the MWR Insider Program through the CardStar application available on most smartphones. MWR will work on behalf of the fans to expand the offerings beyond just its current sponsor line-up, aggregating industry-wide deals and discounts. Fans can text MWR to 42828 to get the card for free. Offers include free headset with rental of a FanVision unit ($19.99 value.)